Ever get that feeling that your employees are not really there and are itching to move on after some tough times and layoffs? (although the tough times may not be over yet).
Is it that you’ve been focusing on tactics and survival for the last few quarters/months?
That’s got to get a bit wearing and boring after a while.
Are you people starting to ask: why are we here?
Is your (and their) vision of where you are going the missing piece that will get everyone back in the groove again?
Is it the thing that is going to stitch it all together and get your employees and team all striving again?
I think it might be a great start.
Studies show that there are a number of factors that influence how motivated and engaged your employees are. These include:
- Receiving recognition for a job well done;
- Allowing employees to have an impact on their organisation (ie. listen to their views and act on them);
- A leader or manager or supervisor who encourages people to develop themselves and their career;
- A role that allows the employee to do what he or she does best;
- Regular feedback on how they are doing whilst also asking how you (as managers/leaders/supervisors) are doing;
- Leadership that really cares for employees;
- Friendly and helpful team-mates; and
- Having the necessary tools and resources to perform well.
Is it time that you had a session with your team (doesn’t need to be the whole business) where you can reset and reboot your vision for your business for the coming months?
Just think of the benefits:
- A team that is less concerned about punching in and punching out and more focused on helping the business move forward
- A team that wasn’t as concerned about their jobs or their next job so that they can really focus 100% on your customers
- A nicer place and set of people to be around (including yourself)
Or, are you going to run the risk of doing the same thing over and over again, just keep your head down and hope everything works out? What would happen if all of your competitors had a session like this? How would that leave your competitive position?
Time to get diaries out?
Thanks to U-g-g-B-o-y-(-Photograph-World-Sense-) for the image