Sales Planning Strategy for 2014: Don’t Fail to Plan!


Share on LinkedIn


Ah, the time for New Year’s resolutions…we all have them even if we don’t readily admit it. And, for those of us in sales, we need to start planning for the coming year by capitalizing on the knowledge gained over the previous one. Reflect on what happened in 2013:

  • Where did your business come from?
  • Who were your top customers and what did they buy?
  • What product lines did you have?

From there, determine how much growth is required for each product line and how you are going to achieve this.

Sales people don’t plan to fail, but often fail to plan. It is essential to analyze your sales territory and determine where and how you can grow your market share.

What resources are needed to execute successfully against your plan and to achieve/exceed your quota? If, on average, you attain 80% of your annual quota year over year, how are you going to get the other 20%? Determine the required growth in order to bridge that gap.

What plans are there for marketing? Be sure to have a discussion with your marketing counterparts to determine what is needed. What events will take place? These will not only need to be scheduled across your year but laid out at the start of that year so that each activity and event may draw maximum value.

In this context it is extremely important to remember that if your average deal closes after 60-90 days, you must be certain that all your planned activity is focused in the first 3 quarters to allow for the closing phase in the last quarter.

Republished with author's permission from original post.

Tim Haller
Tim Haller has over 25 years of sales and sales management experience. He has delivered training and consulting to Fortune 100 clients across a variety of industries, including technology, business services, travel/leisure and biotechnology. Tim has trained hundreds of sales professionals to close business through the use of effective sales prospecting, negotiation, and closing techniques.


Please use comments to add value to the discussion. Maximum one link to an educational blog post or article. We will NOT PUBLISH brief comments like "good post," comments that mainly promote links, or comments with links to companies, products, or services.

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here