What’s the tone of your customer experience?


Share on LinkedIn

Alex Lickerman, M.D. has written a great piece on The Importance of Tone over at Psychology Today. The tone your organisation communicates can be vital at all levels of the customer experience. From the copy on the direct mail to the supervisor at the call centre; the manner, and not just the words, in which you communicate is vital to the shaping of your customer experience. There is the famous finding from John Borg that only 7% of communication consists of words themselves, with the other 93% made up of body language and paralinguistic cues.

I think the final piece of advice from Alex Lickerman can be true for organisations as well as individuals:

If you haven’t ever watched yourself interact with others in your daily life on video when you weren’t focused on being filmed or even aware of it, I highly recommend it. It might be a painful experience as mine was, but if you’re willing to be honest with yourself and recognize the truth of what you see—and more importantly the truth of what you hear—you can use it as a springboard for outstanding personal growth.

When did you last do an in-depth honest assessment of your organisations customer experience? We have previously done extensive work with clients providing this service, read more about it on our Assessing the Organization Customer Experience Orientation page

Thanks to daveynin for the image

Republished with author's permission from original post.

Colin Shaw
Colin is an original pioneer of Customer Experience. LinkedIn has recognized Colin as one of the ‘World's Top 150 Business Influencers’ Colin is an official LinkedIn "Top Voice", with over 280,000 followers & 80,000 subscribed to his newsletter 'Why Customers Buy'. Colin's consulting company Beyond Philosophy, was recognized by the Financial Times as ‘one of the leading consultancies’. Colin is the co-host of the highly successful Intuitive Customer podcast, which is rated in the top 2% of podcasts.


Please use comments to add value to the discussion. Maximum one link to an educational blog post or article. We will NOT PUBLISH brief comments like "good post," comments that mainly promote links, or comments with links to companies, products, or services.

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here