Almost a third of employees in UK small and medium sized businesses admit to holding back because they feel their bosses don’t value extra effort!
According to a new report from BUPA, 29% admitted to doing this and 38% admitted to ‘daydreaming’ and wasting time because they are not fully engaged!
How does this impact on businesses? Well, it can be very serious! The research, which asked 2,700 employees, highlights that nearly a quarter (24%) do not try to win new business because it will mean more work for them!!!! Now, THAT’S scary stuff!
We see it in lots of businesses, where the reward for ‘going the extra mile’ and ‘doing a great job’ is ‘more work’! Do you have someone in your team that if you want a job doing well, you give it to them? Even worse, do ‘slackers’ get away with things?
We’re back to UBER Culture again – it’s Characteristic #5 of 3D Businesses! Our research suggests that 3D Businesses Recognise and Reward the behaviours they want! They work hard to establish a clear set of ‘behaviours’ that people understand and live. They spell out those behaviours and proactively look for and ‘champion’ those who deliver them… consistently.
Collect and act on NPS-powered customer feedback in real time to deliver amazing customer experiences at every brand touchpoint. By closing the customer feedback loop with NPS, you will grow revenue, retain more customers, and evolve your business in the process. Try it free.
The key ingredients of an UBER Culture are:
- Everyone Understands what’s expected of them and behaves accordingly and consistently as a result
- Systems and processes are Built to reinforce and support those values and behaviours
- People are Engaged, Empowered and Encouraged to deliver them
- People are Rewarded and Recognised for doing it!
So, some questions for you…
- What ‘behaviours’ do you want from your people?
- Do they know that?
- Do your actions reinforce this when it comes to Encouraging and Empowering them to ‘deliver’…. and crucially, when it comes to Rewarding and Recognising them?
A great way to get things rolling is to ask your people… “What do we really ’reward’ around here’?
If you’d like more on UBER Culture, you can download this free 18 page e-book that outlines the principles and work out how your business measures up!