ThenThe Role of Energy in Customer Service
Understanding How the 7 Levels of Energy Affects Customer Service
Shep Hyken interviews Natalya Berdikyan, founder and CEO of Life By Design Academy and Frontline Consulting. They discuss how energy affects customer service and experience.
- There are two types of energy: Catabolic energy (levels 1 and 2) is the draining and destructive energy. And, anabolic energy (levels 3 to 7) is the constructive and healing energy.
- Level 1: The state of being a victim. In other words, where the customer or the customer service agent feels like there is no solution.
- Level 2: The Antagonist – Seeing everything through the lens of conflict. This is the ‘I win, you lose’ state.
- Level 3: The Rationalizer – People start to take responsibility for their thoughts, feelings, and actions. Therefore, this is where collaboration begins.
- Level 4: The Helper – Empathy kicks in. This level is about providing service. It is all about making sure that customers win. People at this level are prone to becoming overwhelmed from giving too much.
- Level 5: The Collaborator – Whatever challenges your customer is facing, you always find an opportunity for improvement. This level is about providing a win-win solution.
- Level 6: The Connector – This is where customer service is there to support the customers and connect with other departments in the company who can help.
- Level 7: The Creator State – This is where winning and losing are an illusion. It is knowing that you are doing the best you can no matter the result.
“Everything is energy. It is important to understand the energy that you and others bring to the situation.”
“People like being around people with great energy. Even if you don’t have the exact solution for the customer, let them know that you are on their side. This creates a positive experience.“
“Energy not only plays an important role in creating a better experience for the customer, but it also creates a positive experience for yourself. “
“Listening to what level of energy your customer is at is your guide on how to react effectively and provide solutions. “
“Don’t let your internal and external influences dictate how you interact with other people. You are in control of each interaction you have with your customers. “
“If we are aware of how we feel and how our thoughts affect our feelings and actions, the world would be a more joyful, passionate, and purposeful place. “
Natalya Berdikyan is the founder and CEO of Life By Design Academy and Frontline Consulting. She helps individuals and organizations grow to their full potential beyond existing borders and boundaries.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- Does energy play a role in customer service and experience?
- What are the 7 levels of energy?
- Can internal or external factors influence a person’s energy?
- How do you manage energy to provide the best customer experience?
- What can block a person’s energy?