What is Smart Agriculture
With the increasingly growing adoption and use of the Internet of Things (IoT), connected devices and tools have penetrated each aspect of our life, whether home automation, health and fitness, logistics and automotive or smart cities and industrial IoT.
Consequently, it is only logical that IoT, connected or associated devices, and automation would find and encounter finds its application or use in agriculture and remarkably improve almost every facet of it. It is about the rapid growth of technologies that have asserted us to switch from plows and horses to virtual reality and automatic driving cars.
Agricultural Farming has witnessed numerous technological transformations or changes in the last decades, enhancing industrialization and technology-driven. By utilizing or adopting various smart agriculture gadgets, farmers have augmented better control over the procedures of supporting livestock and producing crops, getting it more predictable and enhancing its efficiency.
This, along with the rapidly growing and evolving consumer demand for agriculture products, has contributed to the universally increased proliferation of smart farming technologies. In the year 2020, this IoT Agricultural Industry market share reached $5.6 billion.
In this article, we will explore how IoT technology is shaping the agricultural industry as well as IoT use cases in agriculture that benefit the industry. Suppose, in any way you are thinking of investing or financing in smart farming or plotting to build an Asp.net development solution for agriculture, dive immediately in.
About Smart Agriculture:
There are numerous ways or techniques to connect to modern agriculture. For instance, AgriTech belongs to the application or usage of technology in agriculture in more specific terms.
On the contrary, smart agriculture is mostly adopted to signify the usage or application of IoT solutions in agriculture farming. So what is smart agriculture farming embracing IoT? By utilizing and adopting IoT sensors to manage and accumulate environmental and machine metrics, farmers can create and build a well-versed or informed decision and enhance nearly every aspect of their work – whether it is about livestock or crop farming.
For instance, by utilizing smart agriculture sensors to observe and control crops, farmers can precisely describe how many pesticides and fertilizers they require to attain optimal efficiency. It similarly connects to the smart farming definition.
However, smart agriculture IoT, as well as industrial IoT in usual terms, are not as widespread as consumer connected tools or devices; still, the market is hugely and enormously dynamic. The adoption and utilization of IoT solutions for agriculture are continually evolving or growing. Specifically, we can say the impacts of COVID-19 has had a positive result on IoT in the agricultural industry market share. All the divisions or disruptions in the supply chain, the lack of qualified workers have auto-driven its CAGR to 9.9%. Even as per the recent reports and data, the smart agricultural farming market share reaches nearby approx. $6.2 billion by 2021.
Furthermore, the global smart agriculture market size is anticipated to triple by 2025, which means reaching $15.3 billion. As the market is still evolving and advancing, there are ample chances and opportunities for businesses or organizations who willingly desire to join in. Building and adopting IoT products for agricultural farming in these upcoming years can set you aside as an early and quick adopter and benefit from paving the way to success.
But why are you considering to build or adapt an IoT application for agriculture in the first place? For your concern, we have done a lot of research and came up with all the benefits and reasons how IoT is shaping Agricultural Industry.
All The Advantages Of Smart Farming:
Technologies and IoT can modify or transform the agricultural industry in various aspects. Specifically, there are five approaches IoT can improve and enhance the agricultural sector:
- It helps accumulate the maximum amount of data by smart agriculture sensors, for instance, crop’s growth progress, soil quality, weather conditions, or cattle’s health. This data can be adopted or used to track t the state of your industry in general and equipment efficiency, staff performance, and so on.
- Better management or handling the internal processes and, as a result, reduced production risks. The ability to forecast your production output enables you to plan or implement for better product distribution. Suppose you know accurately how much quantity of crops you will harvest, then you can ensure your product won’t lie around unsold.
- It will even benefit you to improved and increased control over the production, thereby leading to proper cost management and waste reduction. You can quickly mitigate the risks of losing the yields by anticipating well in advance all the anomalies in the crop growth or livestock health.
- Increased and enhanced industrial efficiency by process automation. Using or adopting smart devices, you can automate diverse and different processes across your production cycle, such as fertilizing, irrigation, pest control, etc.
- Improved and boosted product quality and volumes. Achieve or accomplish better control across the production process and maintain higher measures of crop quality and growth ability with the help of automation.
Consequently, all of these factors can ultimately lead to higher revenue.
Now that we have described how IoT can be advantageously implemented and utilized in the sphere of agriculture, let’s look at how the above-listed benefits can obtain their application in real life.
All the IoT use cases in agriculture
There are numerous types of IoT sensors for agriculture and IoT usage or applications in agriculture farming that are widely spread; they include:
- Monitoring and managing climate conditions
- Greenhouse automation and industrialization
- Agricultural drones
- Cattle monitoring and management
- Predictive analytics or Artificial Intelligence (AI) for smart farming
- Precision farming
- Crop management
- End-to-end farm management systems
Grow And Expand Your Agricultural Industry With Smart IoT Solutions:
According to recent research reports and data, it was estimated that the global population is forecasted to surpass over 9 billion people by 2050. So to produce or grow an adequate amount of food for a given population, the agricultural farming production volumes have to boost by 50%.
As the resources for agricultural operations are scarce and most of the lands appropriate for agriculture farming are already in use, the only approach to boost volume is to promote and improve production efficiency. There is no ambiguity as to what extent this smart farming approach can help tackle this challenge; it shows that it is apparent that it is not possible without it!