Are Your Customers Caucusing?


Share on LinkedIn

I grew up in Iowa which is generally considered a pretty low key State. However, this week Iowa gets the keynote because Thursday is caucus night in Iowa, which is commonly recognized as the first step in the United States Presidential nomination process for both the Democrats and the Republicans. The Iowa caucus is generally defined as a “gathering of neighbors,” as many Iowans will be meeting in local schools, churches and public libraries to publically stand up for their presidential preference.

Neighbors gathering to discuss who should be in … and who should be out. Does that sound a little like a social network in action? Believe it, these caucuses will be followed closely by the rest of the nation, and can be an important factor in determining who will remain in the race and who will drop out. Iowa may represent only 1% of the U.S. population; however, since 1972 when Iowa began to hold the country’s first caucuses, the eventual nominee of each party has been among the top three finishers in Iowa.

Gee, how influential can 1% be? It’s something to think about as you kick-off your 2008 social networking strategy. Happy New Year!

TwitterCounter for @alansee

Add to Technorati Favorites

Alan See
Alan See is Principal and Chief Marketing Officer of CMO Temps, LLC. He is the American Marketing Association Marketer of the Year for Content Marketing and recognized as one of the "Top 50 Most Influential CMO's on Social Media" by Forbes. Alan is an active blogger and frequent presenter on topics that help organizations develop marketing strategies and sales initiatives to power profitable growth. Alan holds BBA and MBA degrees from Abilene Christian University.


  1. Alan

    Even though I am a European, the primaries in the USA are always of great interest. I am curious to know more of how you think the 1% of Iowans with their local political networks work will exert so much influence over the other 99% of Americans who are anything but local.

    Any interesting insights?

    Graham Hill
    Independent CRM Consultant
    Interim CRM Manager

  2. Alan,

    I think your parallel between the caucusing in Iowa and social networking is on the money. People have been using dialog to influence each other long before the Internet. As a big advocate of social media I would like to point out something that happened in Iowa that is less common in online discussions. The TV commentators analyzed the caucuses by demographics and voting pattern. Obama won the younger vote and Clinton won the older vote. I am fearful that too many people will adopt a favorite online community and narrow their view of issues.

    John I. Todor, Ph.D.
    Author of Addicted Customers: How to Get Them Hooked on Your Company.

  3. Hats off to Denis Pombriant for really working through the implications of social networking for the Iowa Caucus.

    Denis has answered all the open questions Alan’s short post created with a comprehensive, well thought-through, insightful post on CRM Lessons from Iowa over at the CRMBuyer blog.

    If you are interested in the real social network story behind Huckabee’s win in Iowa, and to a lesser extent, Obama’s, then take a look at Denis’ post.

    Graham Hill
    Independent CRM Consultant
    Interim CRM Manager


Please use comments to add value to the discussion. Maximum one link to an educational blog post or article. We will NOT PUBLISH brief comments like "good post," comments that mainly promote links, or comments with links to companies, products, or services.

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here