Click to access the Focus Roundtable on B2B Lead Generation
Using outside professionals to help your company implement B2B lead generation gives 43% better results than hiring your own person. Case closed!
So many firms try to do b2b lead generation in-house, (Just do a search on Linkedin for “lead generation” to see how amazingly popular it is.) it’s useful to share some facts from NNC Services white paper which did a great job of comparing in-house and outsourced b2b lead generation. (Click the link to see the original post.)
There are some challenges and problems they found with in-house lead generation:
- Lack of follow-up on events and telemarketing — in-house resources are rarely, if ever able to follow up on a consistent and effective manner. For instance, one company we know very well did a very popular webinar and shared the recording. But they failed to use the “Rule of Five” as espoused by B2B marketing expert Ardath Albee. Failing to split the audio for a podcast in iTunes, do a video interview in YouTube, narrate a PowerPoint and post it to SlideShare, create an e-book, write and post blog articles, etc. meant they missed many content marketing opportunities. Opportunities like this are far too valuable to waste.
- Feedback from the market is not used – A deep understanding of customers is needed for effective BtoB lead generation. These are called Buyer Personas. But in-house resources almost never do the level of research needed for optimal results. For instance, a lot of software companies sell to Chief Information Officers, but a CIO study found three archetypes with three different goals, requiring three different content approaches.
- Incorrect targeting — Not talking to the right level means poor results. However, most in-house resources stop their research when they find an interested executive. Often this lower level executive is a dead end.
- Using a unique channel – This is one of the biggest problems with in-house b2b demand generation. They tend to rely on single tactics, such as email campaigns or telemarketing. Since everyone else is doing the same thing, there’s too much noise to be heard and few leads emerge.
- Leaving it to the team’s junior – Leaving the activity on the sales team’s newcomer is one fatal mistake since the time spent in inappropriate meetings with the wrong prospects often results.
This white paper makes the point that you do not get more leads from outsourced b2b lead generation, but you get much better leads that are likely to close. After all, closed business is what we all need.
Here is why:
- Clear client profiling. (Buyer Personas) Lead generation experts use multiple methods to find out every bit of useful information about a prospect and to draw out a complete picture: likes/dislikes, need and behaviors. These specialists also understand how customers buy, so they translate your selling process to the customer’s perspective.
- Correct Targeting. Outsourced experts ensure you talk to the person(s) who make the buying decision — through deep research.
- Qualified Leads. You don’t waste time on a meeting with someone who hasn’t expressed a clear need for your products or services, or who lacks the budget to purchase them. You only get meetings with people who understand what you are selling, need it and can afford to buy it.
- Follow-up and feedback. All opportunities are followed up until they become qualified leads or are determined not to be valuable. Also, the outsourced lead-gen team has the ability to use market feedback to get more leads.
- Multi-channel approach. A good lead gen partner will use a complex mist of lead generating channels — including networking, online and off-line, as well as social networks. This significantly improves the results of the campaigns.
- More confidence. It takes 6 months to a year to consider if an in-house team member is qualified and producing results. By comparison, you can usually evaluate an outsourced lead generation resource in a month or two.
An outsourced b2b lead generation partner can can deliver better sales leads than you can, at much lower cost, with reduced risk and increasing your opportunities for improved fiscal results. 3 months of b2b lead generation outsourcing brings you the same results as 12 months of in-house lead generation.
We love comments! We also invite you to share this article by clicking the buttons below.