Our reliance on smartphones keeps on escalating as the mobile app domain advances. Today, we have an app for almost every activity, and worldwide, businesses tend to jump on the enterprise mobile app bandwagon to leverage the benefits of futuristic technologies like AI, AR, and IoT. In other words, the mobile will remain on the center stage to deal with intensifying competition in business and to make our life easier.
Before digging deep into the present and future trends of mobile app development, let us go through some quick facts: As per a Statista report, the number of smartphone users is expected to cross the five billion mark by the year 2019. In such a scenario, we can expect the exponential growth in the number of app downloads over the years, and therefore, it is interesting to study the current and future app development trends to stay ahead of the curve.
Drivers of Trends
What drives innovation and exciting trends in thriving mobile app development domain? As mobile searches and on-demand apps are gaining ground swiftly, the daily usage of mobiles is increasing worldwide. The rapid increase in time people spending on their mobiles helps promote innovation and integrate new concepts into the application development process.
Trends to Watch- Current and Coming
Here we mention top ten trends that will impact on mobile app development in coming days:
1. Internet of Things- We live in the world of connected devices. It is expected that by 2020, a total number of IoT devices will surpass 20.4 billion marks. In this case, it is obvious that the demand for devices and sensors will grow. Also, we will see the rise in demand for B2B or B2C mobile apps to control them. It is fair to mention that IoT is all set to exert a big impact on mobile app development process.
2. Cloud-based Apps- Be it a safe storage or seamless access to data, the cloud technology knows no bounds. The cloud-based applications are considered as a powerful replacement of native apps. We can download and install native apps on a specific device, whereas cloud-based app runs on any device with a good Internet connection. What’s more, cloud apps occupy less space in the mobile’s internal memory as compared to the native apps.
3. Mobile Payment Apps- Globally, mobile payments have exceeded $700 billion in 2017. As the software giants like Google and Apple have brought their mobile payment services- Google Wallet and Apple Pay respectively, we can certainly expect that mobile payments will become a new norm. Apart from a safe transaction, the mobile payment apps also facilitate m-Commerce. UPI (Unified Payments Interface), a milestone in mobile payments, has also started gaining popularity worldwide.
4. Wearable Apps- From fitness to manufacturing, all the sectors can get benefits from the revolutionary wearable technology. These days, we have many wearables ranging from smartwatches to wristbands, and from smart sneakers to smart gloves. But then, wearable devices require some support from apps. Most of the wearable devices can be synchronized with the smartphones for better access, and wearable apps can assist these devices to perform in a better and customized way.
5. Instant Apps- Android Instant Apps have brought the revolutionary changes in the Android app development process. This innovative concept enables the users to view Android apps and content without installing apps. It also offers users a facility to load the necessary portion of an app as and when they need. For example, we can use the Crossword without installing an entire NYT app. After Android, we can expect that Apple will also follow suit.
6. Blockchain- The recent rise and fall in the price of cryptocurrencies have brought the parent technology Blockchain into a limelight. This emerging technology is capable of covering many facets of mobile app development. Though in the nascent stage, the blockchain technology is considered as a future of mobile-based transactions. It can add value to our business processes while making them simpler and safer than ever.
7. AR and VR Apps- Both Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) make the virtual world live. These futuristic technologies are all set to take the mobile apps to the next level. Developers can grab a plethora of possibilities by integrating AR or VR with AI (Artificial Intelligence). Microsoft Pix and Hound are a few examples of AI-based mobile apps that can change the face of modern businesses. In a short span, we will see both AR and VR apps to go beyond games and entertainment.
8. Personalization- In today’s competitive environment, businesses strive to offer a personalized experience to their customers and stakeholders to stay competent. Let us take an example of Airbnb- the app tailors content on the basis of the trips we take, and in a way, give us more personalized and individual experience. In future, the personalization approach will prevail and thrive.
9. Location-based Apps- Apple’s iBeacon offers many benefits to the brick-and-mortar retailers. Museums, event management firms, and restaurants can also get the advantages of this technology. It is fair to mention that the coming time will be of location-based apps as the GPS and location technology advance.
App Security- Let’s face it! A feature-rich mobile app always remains a soft target for cybercriminals. The shocking prediction has revealed that around 75 percent of the apps may fail a basic security test. As the enterprise mobile app stores critical data of business and people, the app security will become a major front for the app developers. There is no exaggeration in mentioning that people will keep or delete the apps on the basis of a secure experience.
That’s not all! Biometrics, edge computation, chatbots and other concepts will also contribute to bringing a change in the mobile app development process.
With over 5.9 million apps are available in the app stores, the user has an ample of choices. It is necessary to keep these trends in mind while developing interesting and innovative apps to stand out from the crowd.
At Solution Analysts, our experienced mobile app developers always remain updated with the technological advancements. By using cutting-edge tools and implementing the trends, we have set new milestones in developing enterprise-grade mobile apps across different industry verticals.