Have you adjusted to the new normal yet? Of course! But I’m talking about the cloud. Today, the cloud has become the way ahead for businesses looking to be cost-effective, highly scalable, flexible, improve agility and security.
But cloud migration can be an overwhelming process, and cloud costs can quickly get out of control. So the underlying problem that always remains is- how do you migrate to the cloud neatly with minimal disruption and cost?
To help out, we’ve picked out some of the best cloud migration tools that can automate your cloud migration process, reduce costs and facilitate a graceful transition. The biggest public cloud providers- AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform -offer various free tools and services to automate the migration process. And we’ve also included some top-notch third-party paid tools that are vendor-agnostic and best to go with a multi-cloud architecture.
However, it is essential that you choose the right migration tool that suits your needs. You can consider factors like the nature of source and destination, reliability, scalability, security, and pricing.
Now, let’s look at the tools and their features in detail.
10 Best Cloud Migration Tools
1. Google’s Migrate for Compute Engine
If you’re migrating to the Google Cloud, you can use its Migrate for Compute Engine service at no additional cost with the following features:
- Enables fast, secure, and flexible migration, whether for small or enterprise-grade projects.
- Customization of the migration process in a way that best fits your business requirements
- Its replication technology copies instance data to the cloud without interrupting the running source workloads
- Improves cost-efficiency and increases staff productivity
2. Azure Migrate
Azure Migrate acts as a central hub with all the tools and services you need to plan and migrate to the cloud with minimal downtime successfully. Some of its features are:
- Uses a central dashboard to provide intelligent insights, guidance and track the end-to-end progress of the migration.
- Supports multiple migration scenarios across databases, servers, web apps, and virtual desktops
- Offers tools to discover and assess your on-premise environment, to analyze readiness for migration, and more
- Offers tools and guidance to estimate, manage and optimize costs
3. AWS Database Migration Service
If you’re migrating to AWS, it provides a wide range of services for all data migration projects. With the AWS Database Migration Service, you can:
- Migrate the data quickly, reliably, and securely with costs as little as $3
- Migrate without interrupting the database operations, which in turn minimizes the downtime
- Consolidate different databases into one, as it supports all the widely-used databases
- Executes homogeneous migrations, such as Oracle to Oracle and heterogeneous migrations, such as Oracle to Amazon Aurora
AWS also offers tools for hybrid cloud storage, online data transfer, and offline data transfer. Additionally, the AWS Application Discovery Service gathers information about your on-premise data centers and helps you plan the right cloud migration strategy.
4. CloudHealth by VMware
CloudHealth is an excellent hybrid migration assessment tool that helps enterprises migrate faster by making informed decisions and saves costs. Here’s how it helps:
- Efficiently assesses and models workloads suitable for migration
- Monitors and analyzes the performance and configuration of assets to provide recommendations for migrating to the public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP), such as for AWS, it recommends on EC2 types, regions, reservations, and associated costs
- Manages and optimizes infrastructure for cost, usage, performance, and security
5. PlateSpin Migrate by Micro Focus
PlateSpin is a cloud migration tool that helps to migrate data from data centers and servers to the cloud. It helps accelerate the migration process by automating it and reducing errors. It also features:
- Integrated testing for a safer and successful migration
- Multi-platform support, broadly for Window and Linux OS
- Quick and easy server migrations to Azure, Azure Stack, AWS, and more
6. Carbonite Migrate
Carbonite Migrate tool allows you to migrate workloads to and from any combination of physical, cloud, and virtual platforms with ease. Its key features are:
- Continuous real-time replication of data to enable fast cutover to the new server with near-zero downtime, improved reliability, and security
- Unlimited testing of the new environment without interrupting operations
- Supports various operating systems and cloud platforms
Corent offers a Migration-as-a-Service platform where you can analyze and shift your applications to the cloud within hours. It helps you:
- Strategize and execute cloud migration
- Automate most complex and laborious cloud tasks
- Predict and compare costs between cloud providers for reducing operational costs
Turbonomic is a performance-focused cloud migrating tool that helps plan, model and optimize your cloud migration by:
- Using application-aware historical data to select the best VM or instance type for your resources
- Resizing to meet resourcing and scaling needs, whether on the cloud, on-premise, r across multiple clouds.
- Achieving true cloud elasticity
- Assuring consistent performance at the most effective cost even after migration
Dynatrace is an application monitoring platform that helps you plan better, migrate faster and ensure your cloud environment meets your expectations. It functions as follows:
- Provides insights about current application architecture, usage, performance, and dependencies
- Minimizes disruption during migration with the help of AI-powered tools
- Automatically links applications services before and after cloud migration
ScienceLogic is a tool used for driving data-driven operations with Al-based automated features. It provides hybrid cloud monitoring services that help monitor the performance of your infrastructure components wherever they are. It also:
- Monitors the health of your infrastructure on-premise and hybrid cloud
- Consolidates tools and provide complete visibility across your infrastructure to identify and fill the gaps for saving costs
Using these tools lets you analyze and migrate faster, easier, automatically, reliably, and make the most out of your move to the cloud. These tools will also help you with the health and performance of the workloads post-migration and discover issues that need to be fixed. It frees up your team from performing complex and tedious tasks, allowing them to focus their productivity on the crucial functions.
However, there are plenty of cloud migration tools to choose from. But the right ones paired with the right cloud migration strategy will make your journey to the cloud hassle-free and profitable. So go ahead without worrying, make that move to the cloud, and thank us later!