We have just begun the second season of WRMR – Revenue Marketer Radio and the Revenue Marketers we have interviewed so far are absolutely incredible! To hear their stories, http://tiny.cc/9teqq.
In every show it seems someone asked for me to explain exactly what is a Revenue Marketer. I was a bit taken aback but once I had a chance to reflect on the state of Revenue Marketing and realize what a young, yet fast growing discipline it is, it made sense.
So how do you explain something so new and multi-faceted? I thought I would provide you with a practical definition and a series of characteristics you might find useful if you are exploring this transition.
Revenue marketing is not another check in your long list of to-do’s and the people that do revenue marketing – Revenue Marketers – are a specific type of marketer who have revenue or revenue related accountability. They deliver revenue results through the kinds of programs, campaigns, communications and digital interactions they set up and facilitate in the digital environment. They are responsible for the top of the sales funnel and interacting with and nurturing leads until they are sales ready. They all use some type of marketing automation platform integrated with CRM to power their Revenue Marketing Practice and to get revenue results.
We explore all of these elements during our weekly radio show –
- People and skills and compensation
- Organizational structure
- Sales & marketing alignment
- Content and creative
- Demand generation strategies and tactics
So while we can talk about this general definition of a Revenue Marketer, I think it’s also helpful to highlight characteristics of a Revenue Marketer by answering the question,
”You know you are a Revenue Marketer when…”
1. You know you are a revenue marketer when you can have small talk with your CEO about marketing contribution without having a heart attack.
2. You know you are a revenue marketer when you throw a lead to sales and no rotten vegetables are thrown back.
3. You know you are a revenue marketer when the world ‘lead’ isn’t a four letter word.
4. You know you are a revenue marketer when you can converse with your VP of Sales – and it doesn’t sound like Klingon.
5. You know you are a revenue marketer when pictures of waterfalls start to remind you of your last pipeline meeting.
6. You know you are a revenue marketer when you totally speak in acronyms like MQL, SAL and SQL at your next company party.
7. You know you are a revenue marketer when your head of sales suddenly puts you on his/her speed dial list.
8. You know you are a revenue marketer when you are more concerned about the company bottom line than your waist line.
9. You know you’re a revenue marketer if you enroll your kids in a nurturing campaign.
10. You know you’re a revenue marketer if you A/B test your holiday cards.
11. You know you’re a revenue marketer if meet a woman and ask if she’d like to opt-in to receive communications from you.
Big thanks to Frank Donny www.http://salespipelinemanagement.blogspot.com/2010/09/build-bigger-pipeline-wrmr-radio.html , Ed Thompson of brainshark.com and Majda www.pedowitzgroup.com for these contributions.
How would you finish the statement – “You know you are a Revenue Marketer when….”
We’d love to see what you are thinking!