‘Trust’ is one of those things that most people recognise is a key characteristic of effective leaders. I think it’s more than that, it’s about building trust – and it doesn’t just happen. The best leaders proactively build trust and they recognise that it’s an ongoing process.
A brilliant new report from some friends of ours, the leadership event management company Top Banana highlights how winning leaders make it happen. Their Trust In Leadership report shows that only 1 in 5 trust business leaders to tell the truth and only 1 in 4 trust business leaders to do the right thing!
So, how do winning leaders build trust? Well, the report shows that there’s not just one thing, but amongst many of the great insights it shows that the key drivers of building trust within an organisation are…
- Openness: People like to know the reasons behind decisions
- Effective Communication: Employees need clarity – they like to know what is required from them and where they stand!
- Ability To Make Decisions: People expect a leader to lead – to make big decisions and see them through
- Integrity: Leaders need to demonstrate values and principles – they need to ‘walk the talk’
- Competence: Colleagues like a leader to lead by example and communicate properly – face to face communication is key
How do you measure up as a leader?
There’s lots more in the report, and I would highly recommend you Download it….. more importantly, do something as a result!
It’s well worth it – Trust me, I’m a consultant!